Total metals & mining industry M&A deals in Q4 2019 worth $6.81bn were announced in Canada, according to GlobalData’s deals database.The value marked an increase of 964% over the previous quarter and a rise of 70.4% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $4bn.
Canada held a 33.7% share of the global metals & mining industry M&A deal value that totalled $20.22bn in Q4 2019.
In terms of deal activity, Canada recorded 80 deals during Q4 2019, marking a drop of 7% over the previous quarter and a drop of 19.2% over the last four-quarter average.
Canada metals & mining industry M&A deals in Q4 2019: Top deals The top five metals & mining industry M&A deals accounted for 93.2% of the overall value during Q4 2019.
The combined value of the top five metals & mining M&A deals stood at $6.34bn, against the overall value of $6.81bn recorded for the month.
The top five metals & mining industry deals of Q4 2019 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Kirkland Lake Gold’s $3.8bn acquisition of Detour Gold
- The $1.03bn acquisition of Continental Gold by Gold Mountains (H.K.) International MiningLimited
- Impala Platinum Holdings’ $751.02m acquisition of North American Palladium
- The $475m asset transaction with Newmont by Evolution Mining (Canada Holdings)
- Teranga Gold’s asset transaction with Barrick Gold for $286.79m.